Monday, May 07, 2007

MySQL conference ending thoughts and presentation files

Man, I can't believe it's been over a week since I returned from the very great and exciting MySQL conference 2007. I got to meet all my old and new friends. Big Kudos to Jay Pipes and all MySQL'ers who helped make this event possible.

To me, this year's conference was the best ever. Partly because I made the very wise decision of staying at Hyatt so I won't miss a lot. At conferences like these the more you mingle with people, the more you get out of it. I had some amazing conversations with Mark Atwood, Brian Aker, Jay Pipes (I will never forget :)), Jeremy Cole, Eric Bergen, Pascal (Yahoo! France), Beat Vontobel, Markus Popp, Boel (MySQL HR), Christine Fortier, Marc Simony, Govi (Amazon), the "R"s of MySQL (Ronald and Ronald), Sheeri Kritzer, Carsten (certification), Ken Jacobs (Oracle), Kaj Arno, Dean (MySQL Support head), Domas, Kerry Ancheta (MySQL sales guru :)), Baron, Paul Tuckfield, Don MacAskill, Tobias, Peter Zaitsev, Chip Turner, Mark Callaghan and many more cool people. Thank you, everyone.

The sad part is that there wasn't enough time for me to hang out with people as much as I wanted. Oh well, MySQL Camp II is just around the corner in NYC.

I would also never forget the night I went to Denny's and had a Jalapeno burger with Michelle (wife), Jeremy, Adrienne (Mrs. Cole), Liam, Eric, Ronald, Domas and Pascal. It was so much fun.

At the conference, I also got a chance to be a part of MySQL Certification Technical Advisory Board (thanks to Carsten and Roland for having me). There were some excellent ideas and important issues discussed there. Everyone, including Mike Kruckenberg, Collins Charles and Sheeri contributed some excellent suggestions.

The presentation files for my sessions are now available at http://www.mysqlconf.com. Thank you to all those who written me repeatedly and kept reminding me about putting the slides online. I really appreciate your patience. The slides do not make up for the talk so if you find yourself with a question, please feel free to shoot an email. You can find my email address in the header of my blog.

Also, big thanks to Warren Habib, my boss, who was there to provide his support.

- MySQL and Lucene
- Fotolog: Scaling the world's largest photo blogging community (We have now crossed 100 million page views a day and are ranked as the 24th most visited site on the Internet by Alexa.)

For all those who have sent me an email, please bear with me as I will be sending a personal reply to everyone.

No comments: