Tuesday, January 31, 2006

What is your programming language of choice these days?

I have been playing with Ruby on Rails for my next application and I must say that it does puts application development on steroids.

Ruby on Rails supports MySQL and Oracle among other databases, out of the box. In addition, its support for Web 2.0 applications is very impressive.

Here are two very powerful endorsements for Ruby on Rails (Courtesy RubyOnRails.org)
“Rails is the most well thought-out web development framework I’ve ever used. And that’s in a decade of doing web applications for a living. I’ve built my own frameworks, helped develop the Servlet API, and have created more than a few web servers from scratch. Nobody has done it like this before.”
-James Duncan Davidson, Creator of Tomcat and Ant
“Ruby on Rails is a breakthrough in lowering the barriers of entry to programming.Powerful web applications that formerly might have taken weeks or months to develop can be produced in a matter of days.”
-Tim O'Reilly, Founder of O'Reilly Media


I have created a blog where I will be documenting notes about using Ruby on Rails. In addition, I will be posting useful resources about Ruby on Rails on Open Encyclopaedia (still in Alpha).

So here's my question. What is your open source programming language of choice these days (PHP, Perl or Ruby on Rails etc.) and why?

A week ago I would have gone with PHP but Ruby on Rails is now stealing me :)

Frank

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I still prefer PHP. You can get all the good stuff of ROR-world using PHP-5.1. There are even some ready solutuins: PHP-on-tracks, Biscuit, etc.

p.s. And PHP is also way faster than Ruby ;)