Thursday, April 03, 2008

Lunch with Sun

Yesterday, I had a very yummy lunch (Seared Halibut at Gotham Bar and Grill) with a team from Sun including Al Ballerini, Anthony Mazzei, Steve Spitz and Vasu Prakash.

The discussions were very interesting and informational. Some of the topics (that I am allowed to discuss publicly) were PNFS, QFS, LDAP for large scale authentication, Sun's new servers developed with Fujitsu and Sun's storage solutions.

Architecture wise, I was able to gain some more insight into UltraSparc T1/T2, Sparc M series, and M1 vs M2 architecture. Yes, there was clarification needed every time someone said T2 and T1 to differentiate T1000s and T2000s from UltraSparc T1 (Niagara 1) and UltraSparc T2 (Niagra 2). Someone please tell Sun they can use other letters of the alphabet to describe their servers and series.

The food, though very small in portions, was just out of this world. I can't wait to take my wife there.

No comments: