Sun Microsystems has published a case study, Delivering quality service to eleven million users with MySQL, InnoDB,
and the Solaris 10 Operating System, on Fotolog, the third most active social network according to ComScore and 14th most trafficked site according to Alexa.
• Scale to support eleven* million members and more than 100** million page views a day
• Increase performance without increase in database hardware (significant cost savings)
• MySQL database software
• InnoDB transactional storage engine for MySQL
• Solaris™ 10 Operating System
• Sun V440 and V210
• Support for four times as many users with no additional hardware
• Higher percentage of working dataset in the memory with efficient schemas
• Four times the number of concurrent threads without adding servers
• Anticipated ability to double current number of threads
I will be presenting an updated and much more juicier version of how we achieved such scalability level from database point of view at the MySQL Conference 2008. The talk is titled, Optimizing MySQL and InnoDB on Solaris 10 for World's Largest Photo Blogging Community. So if you needed a sign to attend the conference, well you got one now :)
* Now, Fotolog is reaching 15 million members with same number of database servers.
** Now reaching 150 million plus page views a day