Monday, June 18, 2007

MySQL's The 12 Days of Scale Out

Note: My views are just that: mine and not employer's
MySQL's new series The 12 Days of Scale Out received some very positive criticism from Jeremy Cole and Kevin Burton. MySQL was very quick to act on the opportunity and launch a section primarily targeted towards CIOs, a move that I applaud.

I wish a certain division to be made in the training courses as well where I felt that quite a lot of time is spent on giving marketing messages rather than provide meaty training. Don't take me wrong, there is stuff to be learned however the content has a lot of room for improvement.

The other thing that kind of surprised me is that Fotolog was not included in the 12 Days of Scale Out. Kind of weird since we are a MySQL customer (more on this soon) and deliver more page views than most companies mentioned.


I included Google.co.uk just for fun

Anyway, other exciting news is I just found out that Fotolog is now 20th site on Alexa Global 500 list just below eBay.



Ok, just one more thing. I just completed my first year at Fotolog :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Frank,
we're always looking for companies and web sites to feature innovative use of MySQL. If fotolog is not in the initial dozen, we may still be able to do a case study or press release later on. In the mean time, its great if you can share more technical info about how you guys scale out and any rules of thumg or guidelines you can share with others. Also, I will pass on the comments about the training.

--Zack

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your one year anniversary. Well done Frank.

Interesting Graph.

I like your opening line, think I might just steal that one.